[pianotech] re-gluing loose hammer felt

Douglas Gregg classicpianodoc at gmail.com
Sat Feb 4 17:00:51 MST 2012

Tom,
It was I who put in a TT&T on the Garrett Wade clamps. They work
great. But I just tried to get some more and they have discontinuing
them. Instead, I have found the Bessey clamps in Amazon that work the
same. I have ordered four. See attachments for the Bessey and the
Garrett Wade versions.

I use WeldBond glue to glue hammers when there are just a few. Wim is
right, it can continue but not always. Maybe I got lucky. The Weldbond
glue is quite thick PVA glue and does not soak in so fast. Another
similar adhesive that should be just as good is Titebond molding glue
that is just as thick. I usually leave them glued for several hours.

Gel super glue might not soak in as much.

With either or all three, it would probably help to prime the felt
with a thin coat and let it dry and then glue and clamp. The less glue
that gets into the felt the better as it brightens the hammer. They
can be voiced back down though.

Doug Gregg