[pianotech] Knuckles - replacing

Joseph Garrett joegarrett at earthlink.net
Sat Feb 4 17:26:46 MST 2012

Rick Ucci said:
"List,
Joe G has 5hrs. as the amount of time to replace a set. Seems like it could
be don faster. Is he including regulating the new ones?"

Rick,
I wish, several things<G>: 1. When quoting my "Repair Labor Guide", please
refer to it as such.(Even Randy, who is the Publisher, refers to it as the
"G Works"! grrr!<G>)  2. Read the introduction, as it explains what the
times REALLY mean. 3. It is possible to do faster times, but...are you as
thorough as I am??<G>
FYI, I am, as we speak, replacing,( swapping), a set of standard knuckles,
(Renner), with their smaller one. So far, I've put in about 2 hours and am
only about 1/2 way done.<G> Of course, we all have our favorite ways of
doing things. I like to get it right, the first time, since these are all
new parts and I damned sure don't want to damage any of them, in the
process of doing this operation! The parts are a bit pricey.<G> (Especially
since I am cannibalizing/modifying to make it all work on a Chickering 1/4
Grand. You know, the one with the really funky Brass Flanges!<G> I have
found something that will match the original stuff, however. Gosh, I'm
having fun.<G>
Just my take on it.
Thanks,
Joe