[pianotech] Knuckles

Joseph Garrett joegarrett at earthlink.net
Sat Feb 4 17:33:22 MST 2012

Dale Irwin said: "Hey Rick
I do this frequently & it takes a about 20 minutes to set up the plexiglass
target I use to mark the center line of the unison. I use this to align
hammers to strings later. 20 minutes to get the screws out of the flanges
and into the screw rack. 20 minutes to cut off the old one. About 30
minutes to cut a new slot on all 88 with the slotting jig on the table saw.
About 1 to 1 1/2 hrs to install knuckles. 30 minutes to screw
flanges/shanks back on to rails and 20 minutes to align hammers to the
string marks on the jig.
How much time is that. I'm slow but whos counting....oh yeah...Joe is. That
rascal. :)"

Dale,
By my count, that is about 4 hours. However, you forgot the set up time on
the table saw/jig etc., and the time it took to make that "...plexiglass
target..." thingy, (averaging out so to speak<G>), and...the time to do the
final alignment in the piano, and the little bit of regulation needed to
get everything back to playable.<G> So, .....sounds like 5 hours works!<G>
Now, if'n' you're a beginner, that's a whole 'nuther story.
Just my take on it.
Joe

Joe Garrett, R.P.T.
Captain of the Tool Police