[pianotech] Replacing dampers on a 1908 Steinway upright

pianolover 88 pianolover88 at hotmail.com
Mon Feb 6 17:49:16 MST 2012

I"m replacing worn hammers and *dampers* on a client's old Steinway upright, circa 1908. Having never replaced dampers on this particular model, I was unaware that--apparently--replacing dampers on this piano is a NIGHTMARE, and one of the most difficult damper jobs of ANY piano, either upright or grand. Is this true? This gloomy scenario was communicated to me by a tech who works at a local piano supply house, but I'd rather not mention who.

I was told that the felts, especially the treble, are 'tapered' and that you must "peel little layers off as you work your way up", or they won't lift properly, and won't dampen correctly. Basically I was told that ALL the dampers are almost impossible to get right with modern day replacements, without significant modification. Pics attached are from the action showing the dampers. I would appreciate ANY advice the forum member may have, and what you might suggest, short of declining the job!

PS: Brooks LTD told me that the Tokiwa TDVK damper kit (pic also attached) would work well. Your thoughts on this would also be appreciated.

Thanks,

Terry "UniGeezer" Peterson
"Over 50, and not '2' Tired!"
www.unigeezer.com