[pianotech] Replacing dampers on a 1908 Steinway upright

Encore Pianos encorepianos at metrocast.net
Tue Feb 7 03:54:51 MST 2012

Hi Terry:

Wim is absolutely right on this one.  He is saying this because he has come
upon many a Steinway damper job where the old levers have broken at the
pivot point or worn so much that they wander to the side, with singing
strings the result.  Often many more than one doing this.  I have seen this
many times, like Wim.

When I replace the dampers on a Steinway upright, I use something like the
Tokiwa kit and always replace the levers.  Most of the time, I am replacing
hammers at the same time, so I have the old shanks removed from the butts,
and the butts screwed to the rail.  Like in the factory, I have easy access
to the wires to do all fore-aft and side to side bending to space the
dampers to the strings and damper timing for pedal lift.  If you are using
barrels instead of the old damper heads, there is only one bend to make and
refine for damper spacing.  It takes a lot less time to do than you think
(that's why it is a factory method).  With the barrels spaced out at roughly
the proper distance (end samples each section, then a straight edge check),
you go through and quickly make your bend to center the barrel over the
strings.  Then glue your damper heads with felts onto the barrels.  Then
refine your spacing and adjust for lift.

You will have the satisfaction of a good job that will be trouble free for a
very long time.  I think you will find the damper bending easier than you
think.

Good luck,

Will Truitt