[pianotech] Music Sorb humidity control

Richard W. Bushey rbushey4 at embarqmail.com
Sun Feb 12 12:31:19 MST 2012

To all:

This question was posted to a Linked-In discussion group and wanted to get some opinions on a product that was suggested.

The question was: "Are there any suggestions for moisture control on Grands where no electrical plug exists?"  I would add verticals too.

The one person who responsed gave a link to a product called Music Sorb. http://www.musicsorbonline.com/

Has anyone had any experience with it or could give any reasons why it would or would not be effective or practical to use? I would guess IF they worked well at all, they would work best with lids down, covers on piano, undercover/back cover, etc. to help isolate the air space you are trying to control.

I've seen similar products used in pianos that were designed for gun safes, but was skeptical of whether they were effective or safe to use on pianos. Typically, I had them removed more for fear of either chemicals being emitted from them or mice tearing into them and using the beads for nesting material, etc.

Thoughts?

Richard W. Bushey
Richard's Piano Service
www.RichardsPianoService.com