[pianotech] open letter to CA users..???

Tom Driscoll tomtuner at verizon.net
Mon Feb 13 07:08:05 MST 2012

Rob wrote:
   <SNIP>
  I don't know that more CA would've worked.  Most of the bass section wasn't just loose -- the tuning pin would not hold even the slightest tuning. It took about 60° of turn to bring it to pitch, and then when you let go it would unwind right back to where it started. It seemed way too loose for me for CA, but then my experience is limited on the edge of the envelope stuff for CA. Is there a limit on just how loose a pin can be and still accept a CA treatment?

  Regards,

  Rob McCall

  Rob,

   Additional CA may not have worked but a 10 minute experiment on the loosest of the bass pins would have told the story.

  Ya treat it and come back in a few hours or the next day.

      Repinning an entire piano is tedious , loud  and expensive.

  I had to perform this on some Samick's from the 1980's under warranty and it's no fun !

   My point is that you had nothing to lose in a second CA application and it may have worked --- or not,

   Best to you ,

   Tom D.