[pianotech] open letter to CA users..???

"Rafael M. Huberman Muñiz" rafahuberman at prodigy.net.mx
Mon Feb 13 13:51:11 MST 2012

On 13/02/2012, at 12:15 a.m., Rob McCall wrote:

I don't know that more CA would've worked.  Most of the bass section
wasn't just loose -- the tuning pin would not hold even the slightest
tuning. It took about 60° of turn to bring it to pitch, and then when
you let go it would unwind right back to where it started. It seemed
way too loose for me for CA, but then my experience is limited on the
edge of the envelope stuff for CA. Is there a limit on just how loose
a pin can be and still accept a CA treatment?

Rob: I just worked on a piano that was 20% as you described and needed
a new pinblock due to termites. It was a convent and the nuns didn't
have the money, so I sugested to experiment with CA and they agreed to
give it a try, so I put CA a month ago and it is still holding the
pitch and the tuning! Who knows how long will it last the treatment,
but so far it was a cheap solution for them. As Ron said, maybe it was
a poor application of the treatment...
BTW: I have no option than to spill some CA on some coils because
there was no spece between them and I couldn't get the little tube tu
pass through. It was about 10% of the strings, so I'm indirectly a
culprit of your suffering...

Rafael Huberman

Regards,

Rob McCall