[pianotech] open message to CA users

David Skolnik davidskolnik at optonline.net
Tue Feb 14 04:48:56 MST 2012

Nick -
First, something you've probably already looked at:

Wikipedia on Cyanoacrylate

>Toxicity
>

>The fumes from CA are a vaporized form of the cyanoacrylate monomer
>that irritate sensitive membranes in the eyes, nose, and throat.
>They are immediately polymerized by the moisture in the membranes
>and become inert. These risks can be minimized by using CA in well
>ventilated areas. About 5% of the population can become sensitized
>to CA fumes after repeated exposure, resulting in
><http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki//wiki/Flu-like_symptoms>flu-like
>symptoms.[15] It may also act as a skin irritant and may cause an
>allergic skin reaction. The
><http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki//wiki/American_Conference_of_Governmental_Industrial_Hygienists>ACGIH
>assign a
><http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki//wiki/Threshold_Limit_Value>Threshold
>Limit Value exposure limit of 200
><http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki//wiki/Parts_per_billion>parts per
>billion. On rare occasions, inhalation may trigger
><http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki//wiki/Asthma>asthma. There is no
>singular measurement of toxicity for all cyanoacrylate adhesives as
>there is a wide variety of adhesives that contain various
>cyanoacrylate formulations.
>
>The United States National Toxicology Program and the United Kingdom
>Health and Safety Executive have concluded that the use of ethyl
>cyanoacrylate is safe and that additional study is unnecessary.[16]

and so on.

Keep in mind that Joe works in New York City, so he can walk around
in that stunning ensemble he's described and he will be nothing if
not chic.  On the other hand, if he were to accessorize with, say, a
vacuum, he'd probably get arrested.  Fashion is cruel.   I'd still go
with a somewhat more aggressive approach.  I don't like wearing a
respirator for an extended period as, aside from its discomfort (to
some, probably not Joe), it can be stressful to breathing, over
time.  Also, if that's the extent of the mitigation, you still need
to be mindful of the residual fumes for the residents, (or the cat
that sleeps in the piano) or at whatever point you remove the
mask.  I guess the simple answer is that I'm likely among the 5% and
he's not.  That makes me special, eh?  Actually, Joe is special in other ways.

I'll let you know how I do trying to reproduce Rex's exhaust fan system.

David Skolnik
Hastings on Hudson, NY