[pianotech] Broken leg on 5 month old Steinway D

Encore Pianos encorepianos at metrocast.net
Wed Feb 15 02:03:00 MST 2012

Wim is right, Randy.  Think about that 1000 plus pounds being loaded onto
what are still a very small contacting surface with the floor or carpet.
That carpet is still a high friction medium for the wheel, particularly with
all the weight being pressed down into such a small area.  It is not going
to be so easy to roll, so it is not unlikely that the movers might try to
start by giving it a good shove.  This would have quickly added a great deal
of stress, particularly if the wheels had not rolled into position to slide
in the intended direction.  (Most likely, they were facing in the opposite
direction after having been rolled back to its resting place from the time
before).  The bump in the carpet that Wim is talking about is the carpet
being pulled away from its backing and beginning to bunch ahead of the
wheel.  So now that wheel has a little mountain to obstruct it and try to
get the 1000 lbs. over.  Laminated or not, this accident would still happen
in this circumstance.  Simply put, no leg has been designed to withstand
these kinds of stresses.

Not only is this risking the life and health of this $100,000 plus piano, it
is quickly destroying the carpet too.  A few years ago I finally convinced a
local church to get a truck for a Baldwin SD-10 that had the large brass
European style double wheels.  The legs were getting loose at their glue
joints and the carpet had curled and was going to be replaced.  In the
interest of the new carpet, they heeded my advice and went for the truck.
Didn't hurt when I told them that one of the legs would break sooner or
later, probably sooner, and risk the life of their concert instrument.

I would place some blame at the feet of the dealer that sold them this
instrument too.  We all know how numb our customers can be about these
things, and how often we have to help save them from themselves.  I have
never known a Steinway dealer to shy away from a healthy profit margin, and
it would have been easy for the dealer to sell them a truck at the same time
they were writing that really big check - small potatoes of additional cost
for the safety of the piano and carpet.  Once they have written that big
check, the purse gets locked shut, they will tend to act penny wise and
pound foolish, and against their own best interest.

In Wim's example with the piano truck, I cannot help but believe that this
took an inspired level of stupidity and incompetence to muck it up, even
with 40 year old legs.  Nominations for the Darwin award, anyone?

Will Truitt