[pianotech] Voicing needle canister

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Sat Feb 18 08:15:41 MST 2012

Out in the shop yesterday, I was sorting through various envelopes of
voicing needles and decided it would be a fine thing to have a sturdy
can of some sort to keep them in. There exist a number of small nifty
wood canisters that are fine storage containers for just such, but they
tend not to age gracefully and the lids aren't dependable. There are
nice little plastic or glass containers too, that would be ideal. But I
didn't have any of these. So I went to the drawer where I keep brass
tubing and found what I needed to make one. Back at the beginning of
time, I had made a case like this for pinning drill, file, reamer, and
broach, that has proven to be fairly indestructible, so it ought to work
for voicing needles too.

The tubing is K&S Engineering, from just about any hobby shop or
hardware store in the country. The ends are plugged with lead free
solder. It didn't take long to make, even with my uncharacteristically
buffing it to a shine of sorts, and can be made as big or small as the
tubing selection allows. I always found it much more therapeutic to make
something rather than buying it, and this is fairly cheap therapy.

Kent Swafford posted a through the strings voicing tool the other day
made of rectangular tubing from the same source. Also available is brass
sheeting and music wire in 3' lengths in diameters to 1/4" or more,
useful in making special use tools of various sorts. One of the many
often overlooked resources out there.

Ron N