[pianotech] Bolduc glue

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Mon Feb 20 17:12:07 MST 2012

On 2/20/2012 5:40 PM, Douglas Gregg wrote:
> I am interested in what you guys think of Bolduc glue. I contacted the
> manufacturer for technical information but got none. I even told them
> that I am giving a presentation on adhesives in July to techs and
> still no response.  What are the pros and cons? What is in it?
>
> Doug Gregg
> Classic Piano Doc

It's a PVA, and similar in use to Franklin's Assembly 65, which WN&G
sells for about the same price. Both glues dry harder, or at least more
brittle than Titebond original. The theory is that a harder glue is more
acoustically lively, but in practice it would surprise me greatly if
anyone could differentiate by sound in belly work, which is which. All
three are PVAs, and all three are first rate instrument glues in my
opinion. As I can detect no acoustic penalty in it's use, I prefer
Titebond for it's lower price, longer shelf life, and local availability.

I have no idea where Bolduc buys the glue. He won't say, but I'd bet
it's only available from the manufacturer in large quantities.

Ron N