[pianotech] over centring on bechsteins.

lewis Newman musicbased at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Feb 22 12:34:59 MST 2012

Hello,

I have noticed that all the bechstein actions i have checked always over centre, especially in the treble section?-(Obviously taking hammer wear etc into account).

I assume they set it up this way on purpose for some reason, but i always thought it was best to have the hammer strike the string at 90 degrees...?

Does anyone know why they did this?
Is it to get a nicer feeling let off?-Is there any advantages to an action that over centres?

Thanks,

Lewis.