[pianotech] Adding weight to Wurly Console action/keys

Floyd Gadd fg at floydgadd.com
Sat Feb 25 18:12:50 MST 2012

Thanks Dean for the write-up and photo.  Thanks as well to the others who have contributed to the conversation.  I've been adding mass to the backs of keys and reducing hammer return spring tension, but adding weight to the wippen will solve some problems that just wouldn't go away.  On a couple of pianos, I added the key weight, but in the high treble where there are no dampers, the odd wippen would still insist on returning poorly.
I've got a 40" Mason and Risch console piano ready to be made into a rental instrument.  It will be fun to experiment with it, and to see how much less weight I need to put in the backs of the keys--in these pianos, there's precious little wood there to begin with.
The method I've been using involves a target upweight (15g) with the hammer out of the equation (held out of the way).  That way, the return spring can be dealt with as a final adjustment, rather than a somewhat unpredictable/ever-present variable.  Not my idea--I learned to do it that way here on the list.
I enjoy this list!
Floyd Gadd
Manitoba Chapter