[pianotech] OT for Duaine H

Duaine Hechler dahechler at att.net
Mon Feb 27 11:14:33 MST 2012

On 02/27/2012 07:40 AM, Al Guecia/Allied PianoCraft wrote:
> There is a lot of email hacking going on lately. Can you give us a short "what to do" if it happens.
>
> Al -
> High Point, NC
Four simple things:

1) If you are, STOP using Webmail (Remember your emails - and - your address book, once in the cloud, you have no
guarantee they are safe from hackers)

2) If you are not already, start using an email client (Thunderbird, etc) ( Remember your emails - and - your address
book are on YOUR OWN system - not in the "cloud")

3) Get off the well known services that are known for being hijacked (MSN, Yahoo, Hotmail)

Note: As we all know Windows is notorious for getting viruses, hacked, etc. Well... Hotmail.... is controlled by
Microsoft and is hosted on Windows servers,

4) Change your email address (Yes, it is a pain to do - but would you rather have your email address keep getting hacked)

And, yes, I'm going to have say it - it you can - get off Windows ........THE HACKERS LOVE WINDOWS

I've been on Linux for 12 years, using NO Webmail, using NO Antivirus software, using Thunderbird (and its predecessors)
and, as if now, have had NO viruses, worms, etc - and - NO email address hijacking.

The best of luck,
Duaine

--
Duaine Hechler
Piano, Player Piano, Pump Organ
dahechler at att.net
www.hechlerpianoandorgan.com
--
Home&  Business user of Linux - 11 years