[pianotech] High tension, low tension?

Roger@Integra.net rgable at integra.net
Mon Feb 27 17:28:51 MST 2012

Del,
I’ve asked this question of other scale designers and seem to get the same vague answer. The question “high, medium and low” would seem to refer to the percent of tension to breaking point of the wire .Certainly a given wire with a tension at 150 lb. would not address the “high, medium or low” tension question unless one knows the diameter and length of the wire. As you implied, the tonal characteristics change with the tension. Could I assume you are referring to the percent of breaking point, or are you referring to the total tonnage on the piano? Can you clarify?
Roger