[pianotech] Computers and Anti-Virus

Don Mannino donmannino at ca.rr.com
Tue Feb 28 17:13:44 MST 2012

Duane,

I have learned long ago that disagreeing with you has no purpose.  As an
extremely experienced computer user I can tell you most emphatically that
you are incorrect, but there is no point arguing it publicly or otherwise.

Your advice regarding not updating Windows, and especially about Anti-Virus
is not only incorrect, it is absolutely of the worst kind!  Are you trying
to intentionally get people to catch viruses so that you can point and laugh
at them?

If someone is using Windows and is committed to it, stop railing at them
about changing to something else and give them advice that is useful, if you
can.  If they are using Linux and need help, I'm sure you can help them very
ably.

Also, read up on heuristics / behavior based anti-virus.  The best
anti-virus software suites includes this along with the definition based
scanning.  Look into how the current software actually protects before
dishing out advice - things have changed.

Don Mannino