[pianotech] Bolduc glue

Dale Erwin erwinspiano at aol.com
Wed Feb 29 20:27:20 MST 2012

Ok so tis a stickey wicket doing glue research but it was fun
 So I spent some time today researching glues and speaking directly to the Franklins Glue Rep.  He is of course very knowledgeable with about 25 yrs experience.  He was happy to educate me on the different glues available from Franklins. (see web site)

 I asked specifically about soundboard panel construction and he recommended the Franklins Tightbond 50. It has the highest sheer strength numbers, not that I am concerned about all that. It is their top of the line aliphatic resin which he says dries quite hard. He called it a creamy color not yellow.  When I expressed concern about joint discoloration he said it probably won't be an issue as long as the joint are well made. Well duhhh  :)

 It is not freeze/ thaw stable according to the materials safety data sheet but he said that even if it freezes it won't change the chemical properties or bonding effectiveness. Good to know.

Also if joint color is a concern titanium dioxide can be mixed about 2 tablespoons per 5 gallons.

The Assembly 65 glue is a PVA and all PVAs start out the same basic formula and then they are doctored for certain characteristics, such as temp parameters and solids content.

 He, Barry, was very bullish on the Franklins 50 for usages I stated as piano specific.

 Only problem is you can't just run down to the nearest Home Depot and pick up a quart. I had to buy 5 gallons of the tightbond 50 and I am getting a gallon of the Franklins Assembly 65  to give it a test drive and see if its similar to the Bolduc brew. I suspect it is.

 One things for sure.  The Bolduc /Pianotek product price point is ridiculously expensive and by comparison out of this world. But how many folks want to buy 5 gallons?...anybody?....didn't think so.

 Ok, so,...If any body needs  a quart or a  gallon of this stuff.... just let me know.
 So,Without faulting the entrepreneurial spirit of Andre and company, I can sell it for half the price of Bolduc/PVA and still make money.
 Dale

Dale Erwin RPT-
 Mason & Hamlin/Steinway/U.S pianos
Pre-hung Ronsen hammer sets/Abel parts