[pianotech] Square Grand Jack Leather & Felt

Terry Farrell mfarrel2 at tampabay.rr.com
Fri Jun 1 16:36:12 MDT 2012

The toe of the square grand jack has a piece of leather on its underside. Right below that is a piece of felt on the base of the jack (what do you call that - the piece with two screws through it for adjusting lost motion?). Ultimately, I'm trying to decide whether to replace these pieces of leather and felt. What I really want to do is understand their function (beyond keeping these parts from slapping loudly together).

Seems to me, in a properly adjusted square grand action, they really wouldn't even be needed. Yes? I can see if let-off was set too low, or if key dip was set too deep (too much aftertouch), this leather & felt would keep things quiet. But if aftertouch and let-off are properly set, seems to me there really isn't a role for these cushioning pieces. Am I correct, or am I not?

Pictures below: