[pianotech] mp3 recordings - How

Michael Spreeman m_spreeman at hotmail.com
Mon Jun 4 12:54:24 MDT 2012

Detailed information about the Earthworks PianoMic system can be found along with recorded comparisons on the Earthworks site.  I suggest listening with the best headphones you can get your hands on:  http://www.earthworksaudio.com/microphones/pianomic-series-2/ We've used the PM40 for about 3 years for both recording and live performances.  Attached are a few photos from a recent session done on a Model 220 where we used the PM40 with a set of Neumann M149s. This was about as close to sounding like an accurate representation of the piano's sound that I've heard.  Unfortunately, I don't have the audio files from this session (yet).   The quality of the PM40 is comparable to the Neumann's and although the 3k price tag may seem a little steep, it's still about 1/4 the cost of the Neumann's.  Here's a recording using just the Earthworks PM40.   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQXPVG_LXuU&list=UUOs5Mzk0G9CtJGr0SJtiE5g&index=4&feature=plcp

Michael Spreeman
www.RavenscroftPianos.com

I believe this is a unit I viewed on The Ravescroft that Michael Spreeman uses. Michael?

Comments on its uses in recording?

Dale Erwin... RPT

 Mason & Hamlin/Steinway/U.S pianos

www.Erwinspiano.com