[pianotech] mp3 recordings - How

Michael Spreeman m_spreeman at hotmail.com
Tue Jun 5 09:55:02 MDT 2012

Yes, it is counterintuitive, but there is very little proximity effect from the microphone capsules which makes mic placement less critical than with other types.  As the website states: "The PianoMic™ System uses time coherent, omnidirectional microphones with no proximity effect (i.e. the low frequency response will remain the same no matter what the microphone distance is from the piano strings). The microphones are designed for random-incidence response to obtain optimum sonic results from the sound field inside of the piano."The Earthworks engineers aren't quick to discuss proprietary details, but the technical information of how this is possible might be found in the patent documents. I thought I understood it when the head electrical engineer explained it to me back in January, but electronics is not my forte and the mental emails have long since been deleted. So any attempt by me to explain it would be speculative and confusing at best.   Michael Spreeman www.RavenscroftPianos.com