[pianotech] S&S K52 messaroundwith thang

Gene Nelson nelsong at intune88.com
Sat Jun 9 09:33:39 MDT 2012

>> Gene said:
>> "***i posted the pics partly to query those with experience how to do
>> exactly that - I can notch very well at 90 deg to string plane but to angle
>> it to the left and how to figure just how much eludes me."
>> If that's the case, I'd say your in, waaaay over your skills level and
>> should back out carefully before you hurt your little self!<G>
>>

>> Joe Garrett, R.P.T.
>> Captain of the Tool Police
>> Squares R I

*** I did take the time to try out this idea of carving the bridge as opposed to retrofitting agraffes in order to create equal string lengths in the bichords.
I laid out my paper string pattern and tried to pencil in a notching pattern onto the bridge outline that matched the 27 degree angle of the upper termination.
The issues that I see are that this will tend to narrow the string spacing, decrease the string off-set at the bridge pins and the front and rear relief notches may cause interference with neighboring strings and or notches.
Making a jig that would help scribe the 27 degree off-set onto the bridge at the speaking length is easy enough but I think I may need larger diameter bridge pins than are available to get a good off-set.
I really do not think it will work.
Gene