[pianotech] question about keys to unlock lid of piano

Isaac Sadigursky irs.pianos at earthlink.net
Tue Jun 12 20:10:12 MDT 2012

Hi, Marshal!
Few techs gave some good advice.
Kimball locks are NOT sophisticated.
TRIANGLE or SQUARE shape locks can be opened with a small Slotted
Screwdriver.
Have a good variety of screwdrivers with you and you can do it.
For future:try to collect ALL Types of keys for every  modern and
older  piano and have them handy.
Schaff sells a nice Plastic Box with assortment of different keys
[page 136, item SP-3], and Triangle  and Square Keys,too [[page 149,
items 553b, #554].
Yamaha,Kawai,Y.Chang,Samick,etc. keys can be ordered from
Manufacturers,older keys collected from junked pianos.
Just my 2 Kopeks and Free advice.
Good luck!
Hope to see you in Belleview!
isaac