[pianotech] Console Leg

Paul Milesi paul at pmpiano.com
Tue Jun 19 14:59:37 MDT 2012

Today I encountered a 1970 Poole (Aeolian) console with a broken leg (see
attached pic).  The break is clean, about 13" long, and goes right around
the large bolt which comes down out of the case.  I have questions:

(1) When making the glue repair, is it better to glue the leg up while it's
off the piano, and then put it on, or should I simply apply glue and put the
2 pieces around the screw extending down and clamp?  I'm thinking there will
be glue squeeze in the screw hole, so you can't really let it dry before
installing the leg.  Best maybe to simply glue and clamp the 2 pieces right
around the screw in place?

(2) Any need for dowels?  Seems to me this is not really a stress-bearing
joint, assuming future moves are done properly and the weight is taken off
the leg, above the carpet, etc.

(3) The screw is somewhat loose coming down out of the case, wobbly a bit.
Is this usual, and do I need to access this screw from above for tightening
or anything?  Or were these pianos made with the screws in place and the
legs simply screwed on?

Thanks.

Paul Milesi RPT
Washington DC