[pianotech] broken strings

Joseph Garrett joegarrett at earthlink.net
Fri Jun 22 09:11:47 MDT 2012

Greg asked:
"I am servicing a Young Chang grand with a history of string breakage in
the top 3 octaves of the piano. The hammers have never been shaped and are
quite flat . I'm going to restore the hammer shape but? I'm not sure that's
the whole story.? Obviously the pianist has been getting carried away with
his right hand, but are the strings themselves ever to blame? I've told the
music director that shaping and voicing the hammers may not be a cure all
for the breakage but that it will be worth doing in any case.? I guess I
just looking for some feedback as to whether I'm taking this in the right
direction.? I appreciate any help."

Greg Hollister RPT,
Somewhat. I would include regulation AND take the scale measurements and
check breaking strength of each note in regard to wire size. It's a whole
package thang.<G> I suspect you have a combination of problems: High
tension scale; Rock hard hammers, (now flat which creates a wider area of
force; a Ham-handed player that is probably deaf or thinks that the piano
can play FFFFF; the action  that is out of regulation. (backing off the
let-off/drop might help<G>)
That's my take on it.

Joe

Joe Garrett, R.P.T.