[pianotech] Wood? (Straightening of.)

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Sat Jun 30 17:35:34 MDT 2012

On 6/30/2012 5:30 PM, Joseph Garrett wrote:
> Thumper,
> As I said before, (you must have missed it<G>), Screws do not add
> strength!! They, in fact, create problems of their own.

Agreed, in something like a broken leg. Screws are, however, very good
at pulling otherwise unclampable joints together. After the glue dries,
you can replace the screws with dowels - or not.

>Do not EVER us
> those damned "sheet rock screws" in a piano!

Sheetrock screws are quite handy in all sorts of applications including
pianos.

>They are made for Sheet
> Rock! They are hardened, which makes them a real pain in the tush to
> extract should they break...which they do more often than not.

Then you need to learn how to use and install them. The hardness of the
screws is what makes them much more difficult to break then the typical
low grade imported junk that is sold for wood screws these days. I
wouldn't be without them.

> HIDE GLUE is what the piano was put together
> with.

Not a reasonably recent piano.

>Use that. any other Glue will not bond to hide glue very well.

Including epoxy, nor will any glue at all bond with the more modern
glues when the joint fails, whatever you do.

Ron N