[pianotech] Early duplex scale

David Boyce David at piano.plus.com
Tue Mar 6 15:40:11 MST 2012

I  tuned a nice Schiedmayer grand today, No 9144.

The Musicians Piano Atlas has Schiedmayer numbers starting at 11,000 in
1880, so this one must be from the 1870s.

I was intrigued to see an elegant duplex scaling, and more so to note
that the little duplex bearing "plinths" (what's the proper name folks?)
are made of WOOD!  The piano was re-strung and hammers re-covered 30
years ago, but these appear to be original. Would they be ebony, or
lignum vitae?

Best regards,

David.
www.davidboyce.co.uk