[pianotech] Player Repairs

Jurgen Goering pianoforte at pianofortesupply.com
Wed Mar 14 21:26:37 MDT 2012

> So, she spent around $1500 and still no playing player piano. So we left it as is for now, in hopes that the pneumatics will limber up enough to play the notes in a couple of months.

With all due respect, does anyone really think the customer was well served by this?  If someone advertises their services as a piano repair technician, they should be able to asses the condition of the instrument well enough to be able to tell the customer in advance how much they will get for their investment. The same goes for player repairs. If it isn't going to play after $1500, which is clear if the pneumatics are stiff, then the customer should be told so in advance and the tech should not do the job.

Chip,  unless you have extensive experience restoring players, do yourself and the client a favor and turn down the job.  After 100 years, replacing some tubing and rubber cloth will not be enough - all the valves and gaskets will need to be done.  This can take an experienced person a hundred hours and cost well over $5000.

Jurgen Goering