[pianotech] Hide Glue

Joseph Garrett joegarrett at earthlink.net
Wed Mar 21 17:37:47 MDT 2012

Dave Renaud said:
"I have heard reports of improved tone with nice hard crystal hide glue, I
wonder about that.
That would make a cool experiment, replace a hammer that is cured hide glue
with some
Modern more plastic glue. Same hammer, same piano, same hammer
fitting.....see if there is
An audible change. Anyone tried this. Any solid evidence for the tonal
superiority of hide glue
Or is this wishful thinking."

Dave,
I have done this experiment. Yes, the type of glue does make a difference,
imo. I re-glued a hammer, on an existing set glued with hide glue, but I
used TiteBond. Since it was my piano, I had the opportunity to chech it
periodically. At first there was a marked difference in tone. As the
TiteBond got harder, it started to sound more like it's neighbors. (BTW,
the piano was voiced before the experiment, to make sure that all were
blended smooth.) Eventually, the TiteBond hammer fell into line with the
others. Since I am not really a "Player", my pianos hardly ever get played
unless it is someone else doing the playing.<G> Eventually, I decided to
re-glue the hammer with hide glue. I'm here to tell you, it was not fun
getting that hammer off and removing/cleaning the Titebond off!
 I did a similar experiment regarding Hex Shanks. There is a difference
between Hex Shanks and Round shanks! Hence, I've started making hex shanks
round before installing in pianos designed for said Round Shanks.<G>
That's my take on it,
Joe

Joe Garrett, R.P.T.
Captain of the Tool Police