[pianotech] Hide Glue Kit

Floyd Gadd fg at floydgadd.com
Thu Mar 22 20:59:29 MDT 2012

Hi Joe,

As David Weiss has noted in a post above, this is indeed the set-up described by Bill Spurlock in his manual on bushing keys.

The orange fuzzy thing is a "pipe cleaner" from my kids' craft cupboard.  I use it to glue-size key mortises when I've used my router to cut a channel across the bottom of the keys to accomodate the "flaps" of the bushing cloth.  (See article at spurlocktools.com on Mortise Improvement."

I think of the rival hotpot as the poor man's microwave for the college dorm.  It might not pop corn (then again it might, but I'd be scared) but it will cook up a nice batch of noodles when the dining room is closed.

I do put water in my hotpot, usually 3/4 to 1 inch when I'm heating up hide glue.  I turn the temperature dial to the lowest setting.

I think I've bought hide glue from both Schaff and Pianotech, and maybe even from Lee Valley Tools.  I haven't paid enough attention to the differences to be able to name a favorite source.

I've not posted these pictures before--I took them for this post.  I have, however, posted a picture of the same pot holding a couple of two-ounce squeeze bottles filled with hide glue.

For application I will use a stir stick, a popsicle stick, a pointed dowel, a dowel with a flattened end, a hammer shank with a brass repair sleeve on the end (good for applying glue to the shank when hanging hammers), a pipe cleaner, an artists brush (kindergarten artist), a squeeze bottle, a flux brush . . . depending on the job and the occasion.

Spurlock's article on hot glue use is really helpful.  http://spurlocktools.com/id57_hot_hide_glue.htm

Floyd Gadd

Quote:
Floyd said: "My hide glue kit lives in my car. My kit is the same size as several others that live there . . . my Damppchaser service parts kit, for instance. I've attached photos. I have done an in-home hammer hanging with hide glue. If you're going to do this in-home, adding the hot hide glue dimension really is not that much fuss and bother."

Floyd, I agree. Questions: What is the Orange fuzzy thing in the second photo? Specifically, what was the "Rival" pot, originlly, intended use? Do you put water in the "Rival" for the baby food jar to reside in? What is your favorite glue source? What do you use for application? Either I'm having a Senior Moment, or this post was sent once before? I.E. Specifics are always good.
Regards, Joe
Joe Garrett, R.P.T. Captain of the Tool Police
Squares R I