[pianotech] not one of Bechstein's design triumphs

Joseph Garrett joegarrett at earthlink.net
Thu Mar 29 08:05:24 MDT 2012

David Boyce said: "In general, then, do you design folks think its OK to
have strings
resting against the coils on neighbouring strings?"

Best regards,

David,
I don't consider myself to be in the rarified air "..design folks.." group,
but I'll comment. First, it's nice to know what you were pointing to, with
your photos. Since my 'puter only gives me "thumbnail" pics, it's difficult
to  see fine detail. From what you describe, I would say NO to the
question. The fact that one is touching the other, almost makes it
impossible to tune them. I would plug and redrill to off-set that Assembly
Line Error. I doubt that was in the design...especially from the likes of
Bechstein, which I hold in high esteem.
Regards,
Joe

Joe Garrett, R.P.T.