[pianotech] Gen-u-whine Steinway parts:OT RANT

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Wed May 2 11:13:51 MDT 2012

I have to some degree in several previous conversations including in the
discussion recently published in the PTJ on tone.  It's a loaded subject and
I don't want to delve too deeply into it at the moment.  For now, I hope it
will suffice to say that I think one needs to approach design changes with
caution.  BTW that goes for Steinway too.  I don't think all the changes
they've made over the decades have been a benefit and often (at least from
my view) seem to have been done in isolation without looking at the whole
picture.   If the 1920's pianos were the design and execution pinnacle for
them (as some believe) then they've gravitated away from that but piecemeal,
not with a total concept in mind but just with certain individual changes.
They haven't always been integrated well and haven't always made sense.
Separating the design intention from the execution is difficult at times but
we ultimately have to take them at their word.  What the produce(d) is(was)
what they intended.

Cryptic enough?

btw, on an unrelated topic, have you noticed how this discussion is taking
place in two different places, the new list and the old list?  Many who read
only one or the other are getting only half the discussion.  What a mess.

David Love

www.davidlovepianos.com