[pianotech] Gen-u-whine Steinway parts:OT RANT

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Wed May 2 15:15:17 MDT 2012

It could and it has.  Your take on my meaning is correct.  Early 20th
century iterations seemed to have a more integrated concept even if there
were some warts.

I'm not sure that consistency was part of the plan, exactly.   Rib scales
vary on boards of similar models, for example.  Was that because the workers
were missing the mark or were workers given a range of acceptable parameters
and those differences accounted for different outcomes.  Perhaps that was a
desirable thing.  Or panel thinning, for example.  Panel thinning was done
by hand with a plane.  Some variation was inevitable there as well.  Fazioli
does that with a computer guided router or something similar.  Computer
driven manufacturing certainly produces more consistent outcomes.  But some
variability can be a good thing if you want to see how small differences
might impact the overall sound.   The "distinct personality" euphemism is
something I've generally dismissed as a cover for less than optimal
outcomes.  But leeway in execution can have its benefits too, at least with
bellies.  You get to see what happens.   Actions, well, that's a different
story.   I would argue for precise and uniform execution in that area.
Steinway has been lacking there for reasons we've discussed in previous
conversations (inconsistent capstan placement mostly).

Re the two list comments.  I agree.  The existence of two lists is not doing
either one any good.  The discussions that happened before the advent of the
new list were more in depth and interesting, albeit more volatile.  Though I
will surely be heavily criticized for this comment, it would be best for
participation if they just shut down one or the other.

David Love

www.davidlovepianos.com