[pianotech] Ivory Laws

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Thu May 3 20:35:34 MDT 2012

The following was forwarded to me by a local tech.  Anyone aware of this and
the implication for used pianos with ivory?

David Love
www.davidlovepianos.com

A bit of a problem here in California. New laws, Penal Code 653p are
now being enforced, that states that pianos cannot be sold here if
they have ivory key tops, regardless of the age of the ivory that is
on the piano.  So, to make a long story short, I am going to have to
start replacing the pianos in my shop that have ivory keys, with
plastic before they are sold. I like your German product, being that
it's just off white enough to look professional on a keyboard. Do you
always have this product in stock, and is your turn around time still
2-3 weeks?

Here is how the new state law reads, and if you type in keywords on
Google, a lot of articles appear.

California Penal Code Section 653p

It is unlawful to possess with the intent to sell, or to
sell, within the state, the dead body, or any part or product
thereof, of any species or subspecies of any fish, bird, mammal,
amphibian, reptile, mollusk, invertebrate, or plant, the importation
of which is illegal under the Federal Endangered Species Act of 1973
(Title 16, United States Code Sec. 1531 et seq.) and subsequent
amendments, or under the Marine Mammal Protection Act of 1972 (Title
16, United States Code Sec. 1361 et seq.), or which is listed in the
Federal Register by the Secretary of the Interior pursuant to the
above acts. The violation of any federal regulations adopted pursuant
to the above acts shall also be deemed a violation of this section
and shall be prosecuted by the appropriate state or local officials.