[pianotech] Ivory Laws

paul bruesch paul at bruesch.net
Fri May 4 06:32:12 MDT 2012

Whoa. That photo is repulsive and uncalled for. I am absolutely NOT
suggesting that we should continue to "produce" new ivory. This thread is
about selling a piano with key covers made from animals that have long
since been "harvested". The gist of it is that no one who owns a piano in
California can sell it if it happens to have ivory key covers. Instead,
they need to have those ivory covers removed and replaced with plastic. Do
you know what plastic production looks like? Ulimately, it may not be quite
as hideous as your graphic photo of the slaughtered elephant, but it ain't
pretty either. Who gains anything besides the technician recovering the
keys?

I completely agree with the current US ban. We absolutely should not do
anything that encourages further killing of these enormous, beautiful
beasts.

I think this post should remove any doubt as to my viewpoint in this
matter. I will not respond to it any more.

Note that the use of double-quotes in the first paragraph is to denote the
use of popular euphemisms typically used to soften the tone of this sort of
practice.

Paul Bruesch
Stillwater, MN