[pianotech] crazy customer

tnrwim at aol.com tnrwim at aol.com
Thu May 10 01:01:00 MDT 2012

Paul

You did the right thing by walking away. As Paul said, some customers think they know it all.

You can charge whatever you want, but here is what I say to customers when they call for a tuning.

The Piano Technicians Guild has a definition of tuning a piano. Piano tuning is the aligning of the musical pitch of the carious notes of the piano, by adjusting the tension of the piano’s strings, in order to achieve a desired musical effect. Preferences in desired music effects and methods is achieving those preferences will vary. Piano “tuning” does not involve the functioning of a pianos’ key mechanism. (The “tune up: of an automobile engine may involve keeping machinery running smoothly, but piano “tuning” by it’s self does not).
Because piano tuning is defined as such, there are two different fees: A basic tuning fee of $90, and a full service tuning fee of $120.
If the piano has been tuned on a regular, (at least once a year) basis, and all the components of the piano are working properly, then all is needed is a basic tuning.
But if it's been more than a year, and/or there are some minor problems, like keys sticking or not playing right, or the piano is far below pitch, then the piano will need a full service tuning. However, if, in my opinion, there are problems that are more than what would be consider minor, you will be notified before proceeding.

I don't even talk to them about a pitch raise, because the full service fee includes a pitch raise and tuning.  I just say the piano is badly out of tune, and it needs a full service fee tuning. When I make this statement, it's amazing how many people not only volunteer that the piano needs the full service, but it seems they are almost proud to say it needs more. Then when I tell them it does need more, they are happy to pay it.

In your case, however, when the checks is already made out, and the customer is not willing to pay you extra, walking away is the best policy.

Wim