[pianotech] crazy customer.. now baffling situation

Laura Olsen ajoyfulsound at gmail.com
Thu May 10 06:42:06 MDT 2012

I'm in a somewhat similar position as Paul and would love some feedback.
I was called to take a stuck CD out of the disc drive of a Piano Disc system on a Wurlitzer grand. The customers got the piano with the purchase of their home 3 years ago.
When I arrived the disc was removed, but now the drive wouldn't accept any CD's and had an error message.
Knowing a local tech who installs PD systems, I removed the disc drive and brought it to him.  He did an upgrade on the software and kindly fixed the box.
I took it back.  Installed it.  While it would accept CDs now the system wouldn't work.
I brought it back to my friend who found I hadn't inserted a cord correctly.  My bad.  I took it back and installed it again.  Still didn't work.
My friend comes out to see the piano and realizes it's a pre 1995 system and the red light means it's turned on, not the green light.  He gets the system to work with a disc I left him.
The customers have a collection of CDs (that look really new) that they say worked when they first got the piano.  Only 1 CD works now (and it's obviously older than the rest).  The software has been upgraded,
but the hardware has not been changed.
The customers want all the CDs to work.  I'm going back to see if the non-playing discs are indeed, piano disc discs or if they are damaged.

But beyond this, what do I do?  They swear all the discs used to work.  My PD friend say if they don't play now, they never did.

I'd like to keep the customer and my reputation in my home town.

Any ideas on how to handle this?

Thanking you for your time and rather impressive expertise,

Laura Olsen