[pianotech] crazy customer

Susan Kline skline at peak.org
Thu May 10 13:14:01 MDT 2012

On 5/10/2012 5:11 AM, Encore Pianos wrote:

> It really was a no win situation for Paul.  I respect the choice he
> felt he needed to make for himself.  But I think if we have a little
> sympathy for the customer's predicament, we can still make a choice to
> walk away, but not be as disturbed by their response.
>
> Will

Yes, Will. I like to think that I am a sympathetic person who
understands what people have been going through -- but then something
happened which made me understand that such an emotional condition can
happen to anyone. (But it doesn't make everyone as defensive and nasty
as this customer -- Paul did have to walk away.)

In May 2010, I had Guillain Barre Syndrome (Miller Fisher variant.) I
got past the worst with 6 days in hospital and an effective treatment to
stop my destroying myelin sheath. Then there was the slow recovery, as
it very slowly grew back.

By October, 2010 I was working again. And through the first half of 2011
I appeared fairly normal -- but in retrospect, I was subject to
emotional swings and sudden lapses in common sense.

I now understand that after a disaster, or a severe illness or adverse
life event like losing a relative, people may appear to have recovered,
but they are not yet what they were. Sudden bursts of emotional lability
are almost to be expected.

It just takes time. Some of the tornado victims may never be quite okay
again, especially the older ones.

Susan Kline, now a lot better off.