[pianotech] plate decals

Encore Pianos encorepianos at metrocast.net
Thu May 10 18:06:28 MDT 2012

To continue this discussion of plate refinishing and other attendant needs,
I have been exploring the use of plate decals.  In the past, I have ordered
the sheets of letters and numbers from Pianotek, and cut them out
individually, then painstakingly lined them up on the plate to create the
serial number, with the model letter above it (in the triangle for
Steinways).  It's a pain in the butt and hard to get just right.  Since
every serial number is different, it would be expensive to order something
from a decal maker.

So I started to search for a way to inexpensively make my own decals.  I
think I have found something that can work well for us, it's not that
expensive, and would be faster, easier, and would look better than the way I
am doing it now.

There is a company called Decalpaper.com.  Amongst the many kinds of decal
making materials that they sell is a clear rub-on transfer paper.  Here's
how it would work.  In my case, I want to make a single decal that will have
the serial number of the Steinway I am rebuilding, along with the model
number centered above that.

Start by going into your word processor and working up the decal that you
want to have with the font size and type Times New Roman Bold (48) for the
model number letter, Times New Roman (36) Normal text, with the desired
spacing between the two.  Print out your choices on normal laser paper until
you have exactly what you want.

Since you will be using a full sheet of the rub on paper, then you can put
as much as you want on it.  No reason not to have two or three of these
decals on the sheet in case you spoil one.  And you can add wire gauge sizes
in a small font size if you desire, all on the one sheet.

The sheet comes with a carrier sheet and adhesive sticker paper.  Place it
in the printer and print out your masterpiece.  Cut it out and place it on
the plate, and rub it on.  Follow the directions, and there is a two minute
how to video on the website. If you screw up, it can be removed with water
or heat.  You should be able to clear over it.

If you have a color printer and some publishing software, you could make up
your own decal to place somewhere in the piano.

If you buy 10 sheets, the cost for the 10 is $29.99.  That's $3 for the
sheet.  You can print out at the highest resolution your printer will
support, so you can get  really crisp, sharp text.

I'm too far along in the present rebuild to do this, so it will have to wait
for a few months til my next job.  So I have not done this yet.  But I
wanted to share it with others you might have a similar need.  Hope it is
useful.

Will Truitt