[pianotech] Kohler & Campbell Hammer Springs

Joseph Garrett joegarrett at earthlink.net
Fri May 11 09:09:28 MDT 2012

Paul said:
"1980 Kohler & Campbell 41.5" Mahogany Console, good condition, except that
several hammer springs have broken up close to the rail/coil, of course
causing hammers not to return. Springs do not appear rusty, but have what
looks like verdigris at the coil. Might this have caused spring weakness?
Not sure why they are breaking. Piano is very clean, rust- and mold-free,
etc. Excellent, even tuning pin torque throughout. Anyone know anything
about this era of K&C consoles regarding hammer spring weakness? They do
not seem like very strong springs, very thin wire.

Also would like to know if the spring rail will remove easily without taking
other parts off the brackets?this will be my first time doing this job if
they opt for it.

They have already mentioned, even without a quote yet, that they thought
this would be a rather expensive job considering they only paid $300 for the
piano. I'm thinking I'd have to bill 5 hours total for this work. Thoughts
about whether it is worth doing this job on this piano? Everything else
looks in "good" condition."

Thanks.

Paul,
This has been covered many times before. The cause of the spring failure is
the chemicals in the felt on the rail, that is touching the springs. It's a
4 hour job...max! I can do it in 2! AND, I would convert the rail
attachment system, as well. You will need an off-set screwdriver, (ratchet
types are best), to remove the rail, initially. The quality of that piano,
(without my having seen it!), is far better than the Chinese Crap that is
out there today, imo. It's actually made out of real wood. What the client
paid for it is of no relevence! Just fix it and they will have a good piano
for their uses. That's my take on that
Joe

Joe Garrett, R.P.T.
Captain of the Tool Police