[pianotech] regulation without a ruler (was: Old can of worms)

Encore Pianos encorepianos at metrocast.net
Fri May 11 09:44:13 MDT 2012

No worries, Susan.  I concur with your remarks.  I will elaborate by saying that I have been rebuilding pianos, their actions , and regulating them since 1973.  I certainly know how to "regulate by numbers" and find them useful as a general guidepost.  I do not play piano, but I have developed sensitivities to touch that have proven to be quite valuable.  On many an occasion I have been regulating an action where, on the one hand, it is telling me everything is good by the numbers; yet on the other hand, I am feeling something that I often can't describe but feels like something isn't quite right.  It'll nag at me until I stop to investigate.  I look and look until I find the culprit, sometimes right away, sometimes not.  It can turn out to be weirdball stuff I have not seen before.

I have learned to trust my instincts when the action feels weird.  If it was all by numbers, I would just finish the job and put it into  the hands of the pianist.  If he or she is a good, sensitive player, they will not be satisfied, but everything is supposedly "perfect".  But since I trust my sense of touch, I can find the problem and fix it before the pianist ever sees it.  It serves me well.

I have heard staggeringly good tunings done by an ETD, generally done by superb techs who have tuned aurally for a long time before switching.  They combine their developed aural skills with the electronic tuning in a complementary fashion.  As Mark Dierauf said earlier, using the ETD made him a better aural tuner when he wanted to use that skillset, and  those aural skills can be used to ehance and refine the electronic tunings that are done.  It' s all good.

If one lacks intellectual curiosity, has no particular interest in building their skills, and is satisfied with "average" work,  a purely electronic tuning is adequate to this task.  But you will not work for the better musicians, because they will see a blind spot in your work that you do not even know is there.

In this work like so many others, the way you keep from stagnating is by challenging yourself regularly.

Will Truitt