[pianotech] regulation without a ruler (was: Old can of worms)

Encore Pianos encorepianos at metrocast.net
Fri May 11 13:25:14 MDT 2012

No, I was not saying that someone, by the fact of doing a purely electronic tuning, lacks intellectual curiosity.  I don't believe I  even implied that.  Indeed, just prior to that statement I proclaimed that I have heard some staggeringly good tunings done electronically.  You are jumping the gun, David.  There are bad aural tuners, and there are bad ETD tuners.  Use of the one method or the other does not make you a good tuner.  There are people who will learn just enough to get by either way.   My point about working for better musicians is about those tuners who have learned to tune electronically but have never developed their aural skills, not the high level technicians who tune electronically.  Indeed, isn't it true that the ETDs have developed to the fine level of accuracy and consistency that they have today because aural tuners who began using them found the early models wanting?  They devised their own protocols for making the instruments create a better, more musical tuning, and the manufacturers continued to evolve the instruments.

As tuners we know about inharmonicity and poor scaling.  Badly scaled smaller pianos limit how good your temperament is going to be, for example.  I can tune a temperament electronically, and I can tune one aurally.  Sometimes I'll check the machine's temperament and it is as good or better than what I can do.  Other times, I will feel I can improve that temperament and do so.  I can choose to tune one way or the other, but on occasion like to compare them just to see how well the machine does against what my ear wants to hear and I believe can be achieved on that instrument.  Generally, my preference is to tune aurally, but that is a preference and not a prejudice.  Whatever gets you the best tuning, I am all for, whether aurally, by machine, or a combination of the two.

I thought it would have been clear that my remarks were towards the idea that developed sensitivities of touch and tone make us more aware and complete as technicians, and we are better as a result.  If Steve Fairchild or Rick Baldassin had said to themselves, "I know enough, I don't need to learn anything more", would they have made the kinds of contributions that they have?  Moreover, a more developed skill set almost always brings us to a place where we can create new ways to generate income for ourselves.

Will Truitt