[pianotech] CTE's - what are you thoughts? (continuation of Re: Old can of worms)

Kent Swafford kswafford at gmail.com
Sat May 12 16:29:15 MDT 2012

Below...

On May 12, 2012, at 3:38 PM, David Love wrote:

> My understanding is that a master tuning is set initially
> with an electronic device attempting to following fairly well defined
> temperament and octave guidelines.

There is generally a preliminary tuning done, but there is no requirement that it be aural or electronic; anyway, there generally won't be much left of the preliminary tuning after the 3 examiners have their way with it.

>  During the exam, notes
> that fall outside of the acceptable range of variability are deducted and
> may be challenged by the examinee.

Dave Renaud described the procedure exactly correctly, as far as I know. Notes that appear out of tolerance are aurally verified before points are deducted. I suppose the examinee can make his case, but if the aural checks show the note is flat or sharp, then the points _are_ deducted.

Kent