[pianotech] V.J. lube

Elwood Doss edoss at utm.edu
Sat May 12 22:57:07 MDT 2012

I'll take a jar too!  Good stuff!
Joy!
Elwood

Elwood Doss, Jr., RPT
149 Shady Grove Road
Martin, TN 38237

From: Tom Driscoll [mailto:tomtuner at verizon.net]
Sent: Saturday, May 12, 2012 3:42 PM
To: pianotech at ptg.org
Subject: [pianotech] V.J. lube

List,
 For many years I've made up different versions of VJ for my own use.

Petroleum jelly, lanolin and either unscented talc or teflon powder are the ingredients and I have used the Late-Great Newton Hunt recipe for the last few batches.

The lanolin and unscented talc have been available in pharmacies in years past . Now it seems that the talc is only available
 in very small quantities and the lanolin is nowhere to be found.
So I ordered the stuff online in larger quanities and here I sit with a Tub-O-VJ.

My question : Is the very late Victor Jackson's recipe proprietary or has it passed into public domain ? I can't find any reference to it being available for sale but I don't want to
step on anyones toes either  .

I ain't looking to make a killing here but I'd like to offer 4oz. jars at a reasonable price to get rid of the surplus.
Worst case scenario is that I have 25 Christmas presents to pass along to my
technician friends.

 Advice?

Tom Driscoll

P.S. How about this for piano tuner trivia !

What's My Line EPISODE #240
Season 6, Episode 19, Aired Jan 09, 1955
Game 2: Victor Jackson - "Piano Tuner - Tunes Liberace's Piano" (salaried; from Los Angeles, CA;)