[pianotech] Fwd: Mason & Hamlin soundboard model with tuning fork

David Nereson da88ve at gmail.com
Sun May 13 04:39:04 MDT 2012

<<Neither demonstrates anything related to actual pianos and how they
work.>>
Maybe not, but the difference in tone between the relaxed (non-"crowned")
board and the arched ("crowned") board while the fork was vibrating was
definitely noticeable, even striking.  But since this isn't related to real
pianos, what's the purpose of crown again?
     On the same subject (I think), what is the correct answer to clients
who ask what makes pianos go out of tune?  We used to tell them that, aside
from the natural tension to go flat because of the tendency for wire under
tension to stretch, the soundboard rises and falls with changing humidity,
but since it has been proved or calculated that the "numbers just aren't
there" to support that theory, what is a short, satisfactory answer to the
question, or is there one?
    Yes, I know this has been discussed before and somebody will probably
respond, "Archives! Archives! Archives!" but I don't recall a concise
satisfactory answer.
         --David Nereson, RPT