[pianotech] Exams discussion - Odd?

Ron Koval drwoodwind at hotmail.com
Mon May 14 08:43:41 MDT 2012

Hi Duaine,  I aim for the "wow" factor for all the pianos I see...  No, really!
My piano teachers must've taken on a bunch of new students, because I've just finished a few weeksof new clients - many with pianos just as you describe - the worst being a 200 cent pitch raise...
They (mostly) know that the first visit is "clearing out the barn" - so there's less expectations in play.  Still, by usingthe methods I've outlined (no traditional aural skills required), partnered with the Verituner running custom styles, I expect that the tuning calculation (if the piano were stable enough) would get me to a "wow" tuning.
Painless partnering with a glorified calculator.  You can apply the same techniques to get better tunings using any ofthe ETD's that measure inharmonicity and let you alter the stretch...

Ron Koval

OK, enough with the "wow" factor. Where would you use such tunings ?
Symphonies, maybe, BUT, the piano is only one instrument in the rest of them.
For the average Joe like me, that tunes for home owners - who usually new to old beaters, and churches, who almost never, have solos anymore - they are in some sort of a praise band.
So, the "wow" factor must be for those "elite" customers - who really give a damn about how a piano sounds - Right ?
Which I would probably refuse to tune for them............
Just sayin'
-- Duaine HechlerPiano, Player Piano, Pump OrganTuning, Servicing&  RebuildingReed Organ Society MemberFlorissant, MO 63034(314) 838-5587