[pianotech] Striving for the "wow" factor, was Re: Exams discussion - Odd?

Paul Williams pwilliams4 at unl.edu
Mon May 14 13:20:09 MDT 2012

Wim, Duaine and all.

If it makes any sense to you all;  I tune every piano as if I would have to play it myself and record it. Of course, a Steinway D makes  a "perfect" tuning even close to possible; a Winter spinet: not even close. BUT: I will do the best job I can on every instrument!  That's what we are supposed to do! Aren't we???

Just coasting through a crappy piano with a so so tuning looks  bad on us, the customer, and the piano!!  Unfortunately, some of those old crappy pianos don't sound much better to US after you started then when finished, but, by Golly, we HAVE to do our best with every instrument!!  For those who don't even try to do this: then, please stay out of the organization. It just looks bad on the rest of us!!.

I don't care if you choose ETD's or aurally, really, for the day to day tunings or even concert tunings.  Each of us have what works for them.  Use them, BUT:  continue to learn more "tricks" to do a better job, and let's leave each other alone to do that!!  My delete button is getting worn out!

Best tunings to you all!

Paul