[pianotech] Striving for the "wow" factor, was Re: Exams discussion - Odd?

Susan Kline skline at peak.org
Mon May 14 14:36:09 MDT 2012

On 5/14/2012 12:08 PM, Duaine Hechler wrote:
> Plus, does an old style, non-electronic, player piano really - need -
> the "wow" factor ?
>
> Duaine

It's not so much which pianos NEED the "wow" factor, it's which are
capable of producing it.

If the piano can do it, I want to achieve the "wow" every time I can.
It's just a lot more
fun, and the pianist has a better experience. Never quite thought of it
as a "wow" before
this discussion, but the term works as well as most. I think of it more
like a glow.

There was an old Thomas Hardy poem -- maybe Google can reveal it for me.
It's about looking
back to better times. The lines I remember are,
"Everything glowed with a gleam -- but we were looking away."

Yeah, here it is. The wonders of the internet --

http://www.poetryfoundation.org/poem/184077

  The Self-Unseeing

By Thomas Hardy <http://www.poetryfoundation.org/bio/thomas-hardy>
Here is the ancient floor,