[pianotech] phenomana - Another ETD Check

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Tue May 15 06:27:56 MDT 2012

On 5/14/2012 11:38 PM, Joseph Garrett wrote:

> Ron,
> I have a sneaking hunch what you are alluding to.<G>

Sorry Joe, that wasn't intended to be so terse. I think the coffee's
working now.

But yea, the different readings reported by ETD users in different
seasons is pointing to something that changes in the piano regarding not
only the need to adjust pitch (obvious), but the indication that the
finished tunings produced aren't the same from season to season. This
has been mentioned occasionally since the SAT first showed up, but to my
knowledge no one has ever saved these differing tunings for comparison
of the offsets note by note. I think that has the potential for teaching
us something.

As usual, I'm trying up front to head off the volume of descriptions of
workarounds, octave ratios, stretch manipulations, and other
customizations and peripheral esoterica universally accompanying
discussions of ETD tuning, by trying to explain what I'm after. Though
this has nearly never worked in the past on any given subject, I don't
know any other way to ask.

So in order to get anything at all useful from the data, I need
duplicate processes (as is possible) producing the tunings, so we can
see what the piano is actually doing season to season without
contaminating the data with changing input.

So with an aurally super tuned testing piano serving as probably the
most reproducible aural tuning, What are the recorded note by note
differences with a 30%RH difference when the tunings were done?

I'm not sure how to do this with an ETD. Since I'm not after the ideal
*result*, but rather the difference in results with the same machine
setup, I don't know what to specify. But, again, I'd like the note by
note offset differences of the results. I don't know, but I probably
need an *ideal* version too, with tweaks as necessary since that happens
in the interval checks with the aural tuning. Like anything, I won't
know what I need until I find out by wading through what it turns out I
don't need. That just seems to be the way things work, and at the end, I
may still not know. But such is the process.

If I can get clean data from as near identical input from both methods,
there should be a correlation in the recorded note by note offset
results that represents how the soundboard assembly is filtering and
changing the process that we can separate from the tuning method and get
some idea what we're actually dealing with in trying to tune these
things. I still maintain that pianos can't be tuned, much less be kept
in tune, but I'd like to try to understand more about the why of it with
the tools available. Unfortunately, I haven't the means to do it myself
and am asking for help.

I think that's more like what I mean.
Ron N