[pianotech] phenomana - experiment.

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Tue May 15 08:36:50 MDT 2012

On 5/15/2012 9:19 AM, David Renaud wrote:

>> Tuned how, and why? For the results to be meaningful, we need a
>> standard method for all the ETD tuned pianos. We also still need
>> the aurally master tuned test piano(s). Ron N
>
> The Steinway I speak of is an official test piano with a master
> tuning recorded.
>
> Would not just proving the inharmonisity readings vary seasonally on
> sample notes nessesate that the required numerical stretch for the
> same results also changes......

I don't know. Would the inharmonicity readings produce the same
calculated note to note frequencies as performing an actual master
tuning under the same conditions? I'd guess not, and I'm trying to
eliminate as much guesswork as possible here.

What I'm after is a direct after the fact note by note measurement to
compare (to the resolution of the method) an "in tune" piano at low RH%
with an "in tune" piano at high RH% to see if there is a difference
between those two presumably identical tunings, and how much where. In
the interest of thoroughness, there need to be both aural and machine
produced samples.

Ron N